Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Two Gentlemen: Art

I was poking around on the internet (instead of reading this week's play...), and I found some great pictures on Wikimedia Commons that various artists have done based on Two Gentlemen of Verona. If you read the play last week, or even if you didn't, you might enjoy these.

Here's one I like very much, by Alfred Elmore (1815-1881).

Duke: This love of theirs myself have often seen, Haply when they have judged me fast asleep.

The Duke's expression is great. Valentine and Silvia must have been completely twitterpated to think that he was asleep!


Here's Launce and his dog, by Henry Roberts, the "English engraver, printseller and music publisher." Launce is being played by the actor Richard Yates (c. 1706-1796). The name of the doggy actor, however, seems to not be included on Wikimedia.
I think Crab, my dog, be the sourest-natured dog that lives.

But far and away the most popular scene to immortalize in art is the exciting finale, in which Valentine rescues the fair maid from that villian Proteus.
Let's take a look at one by the pre-Raphaelite, William Holman Hunt. Extraordinary, eh?

My shame and guilt confounds me. Forgive me, Valentine.

More pictures here.

If I were going to choose a scene from the play to paint, I think I would pick the scene where Proteus sings to Silvia's balcony and Julia listens. It's so poignant and you could include some neat Renaissance instruments. What would you pick?

No comments:

Post a Comment